Thursday, March 8, 2012

I need an outdoor challenge to inspire me this year

So for my HubPages account I am writing an article about the history of Appalachian Trail hiking. The History of Hiking the Appalachian Trail Of course as a thru-hiker myself ME>GA '98 I believe I have insight that many others don't have.  My one hub "An Appalachian Trail Thru Hike in Pictures" which showcases some pictures I took on my journey has been received moderately well.  I should probably tweak it a bit someday.  The problem is, that was '98 and I need to do something like that again. 

Here I am on Katahdin during my thru-hike. 
Sure since my Maine to Georgia thru-hike I've done A LOT of outdoor things, hiking on the FLT, becoming an Adirondack 46 R, paddling the Oswegatchie Traverse.  However, none of those things are as grand and as inspiring as hiking the Appalachian Trail.

So, this year, before my child comes in August - I need to do something very cool outdoors.  However, because of saving money, it will have to be inexpensive and I'm not sure for how many weeks I can go.  Because of cost saving measures, I want to keep it in the North East.

Anyway, here is a list of potential backpacking and canoeing trips:

  • Finger Lakes Trail - 560 miles - time needed about 28 days.  Heck it is the 50th anniversary of this trail this year. 
  • Long Path, 346 miles  - time needed 20 days 
  • Finish the Northern 176 miles of the Long Trail in Vermont - 10 days 
  • Paddle the Whitney Loop in the Adirondacks - 4 days
  • Paddle as much of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail as possible
  • Finish my Northeast 115 - most of what is left is in New Hampshire.  
  • Cohos Trail in NH 180 miles - new trail could be fun
I don't know, maybe I could volunteer someplace cool.  If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

For now, I go in search of adventure.... 

If you are looking for a great outdoor site, full of information check out World Outdoor Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment