Wednesday, February 15, 2012

An Environmental Lawnmower

So, we are moving in a couple of weeks and I will have the most esteemed pleasure of mowing the lawn; it's been a few years since I had to mow a lawn.  Yes, though the banks and the realty companies tell you that homeowners have it made, it is the renter that smiles when his landlord is shoveling the driveway in a blizzard or mowing in a heat wave.

Anyway, I have to buy a lawnmower...

Of course, this is a small city lot, and I do have a machete.  Maybe if I ... nah, I  guess I have to get one.

Am I now doomed to join the ranks of noisy lawn-destroying denizens that terrorize the peacefulness of the neighborhood?

Of course, I could avoid those noisy contraptions, all the maintenance, and the yanking of my shoulder out of its socket.  Yep, I'm thinking about buying a reel mower.  And no, that is not a misspelling of "real."

Now the last time I used a reel mower, I think I was 12 and the blades hadn't been sharpened since before the Korean War.  It was a pretty good workout from what I remember.  According to what I've been reading the new reel mowers are fast, quiet, require little maintenance, and best all are environmentally friendly.

I found a website extolling the virtues of reel mowers  Green Your Lawn with a Push Reel Lawn Mower

So far I am looking at a model from Fiskars with an adjustable cutting length.  

No comments:

Post a Comment